Washington FC vs Morpeth Town AFC

1 - 2
Full Time


WASHINGTON FC 1 – Morpeth Town AFC 2

(Half Time: Washington 0 – Morpeth Town 1)

Saturday 21 October 2017
Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex, Washington Road, Sunderland, SR5 3NS
Kick off - 3:00 pm
Ebac Northern League - Division 1
Attendance: 125

Washington fall to league leaders

League leaders Morpeth Town arrived at the Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex last Saturday on an unbeaten run of 10 matches. The Northumbrian side beat the Mechanics 4-1 in the reverse league fixture back in early September, but that game was a lot closer than indicated by the score-line. Washington top scorer Matty Waters was unavailable and regular full-back Matty Parker was suspended for today’s game.

Michael Laws and Cameron Wilson came in to the starting line-up. It was the Highwaymen who dominated the opening exchanges with Sean Taylor firing just over the home crossbar then Liam Henderson forcing a low save from Mechanics keeper Dan Gladstone. Morpeth keeper Karl Dryden was also in the action early, when he did well to hold on to a Wilson cross. The visitors continued to press with Gladstone saving well from Taylor then Keith Graydon shooting high over the home crossbar. In the 21st minute Morpeth opened the scoring.

The home defence was caught out by a quickly taken free-kick, allowing Henderson the space to fire in a low cross which was turned home from close range by Chris Reid. Henderson almost doubled the advantage when he was given a clear shooting chance, but some fine blocking by the Mechanics defenders cleared the danger. Morpeth looked sure to score when a deft flicked header from Henderson set ex-Washington winger Joe Walton clear on goal, but Gladstone again excelled in diving low to block the shot.

A good passing move from the home side ended when a cross from Jake Pickard flew high over the incoming forwards. Gladstone continued to deny the Morpeth attack when he dived low to his left to push away a shot from Reid. The last chance of the first half fell to the home side, when Laws got on the end of a corner but saw his goal bound header blocked. Despite dominating the half Morpeth only led by a single goal. A good run by Walton caused problems for the home defence at the start of the second half, but a fine tackle by Lamin Cham averted the danger.

A free kick from Stephen Turnbull again went close for the Highwaymen but Gladstone did well to parry then collect the shot. On the hour mark the Mechanics had a great chance to draw level. A low cross from Wilson found sub Sam Grieveson clear at the back post, but the striker steered his close-rage shot wide of the target. Ten minute later Morpeth extended their lead. A good right wing break by Taylor ended with him firing in a low cross that was unfortunately turned into his own net at full stretch by Laws. Morpeth continued to have the majority of possession, but the Mechanics worked hard to get back in the game. In the closing minutes their tenacity was rewarded when Laws headed in from a corner.

Time ran out to get an equaliser, and Morpeth deservedly extended their unbeaten run.

Match Report by Dixie



Date Time League Season
21/10/2017 3:00 pm Northern League Division 1 2017/18


Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex
A1290, Sunderland SR5 3NT, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Washington F.C.011Loss
Morpeth Town AFC112Win

Washington F.C.

Morpeth Town AFC