Washington vs Chester Le Street Town FC


WASHINGTON FC 2 – Chester Le Street Town 0

(Half Time: Washington 1 – Chester Le St. 0)

Tuesday 10 October 2017
Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex, Washington Road, Sunderland, SR5 3NS
Kick off - 7:45 pm
Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup
Attendance: 98

Washington progress with 2nd win of the season

In a break from the League Washington welcomed Division 2 strugglers Chester Le Street Town for the first round of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup. Neither team have had a good run of form lately Washington only having taken 1 point in the 3 games since getting knocked out of the FA Vase. So a much needed, moral boosting win was needed for the Mechanics.

Washington were without Michael Laws Matty Waters. Andrew Brown came in a right back with Pascal Chimbonda moving to the centre of defence. Samuel Grieveson replaced Waters at the lone striker. Rhys Evans started in midfield again.

The Washington starting line-up and formation is as follows.



Both teams had a slightly tentative start to the game neither able to get the ball down and get quality passing going. Washington seemed slightly nervous.

The first opportunity of note fell to Chester Le Street after 10 minutes. When they broke into the box and brought a brilliant double save from Dan Gladstone. The ball finally went out for a corner, the ball in was easily dealt with by the Washington defence. Washington then broke down the left with Robbie Williamson breaking into the box. He was bundled over by a Chester Le Street defender and despite calls from players and the crowd, no penalty was given by the officials.


Despite this Washington still struggles to get the ball out of their own half. Shaun Pickford and Jake Pickard both had shots wide of the goal. Williamson was put through on goal by Ross Gardner but the Chester Le Street defence were first to the ball. The build-up play was good from Washington and the passing was starting to come together, it was just the final finish that was missing. Players seemed to be taking too long to get a shot away and they were being charged down, or shooting too soon and falling off target.


After 25 minutes Washington has their closest opportunity to take the lead. A ball into the box was met by Grieveson. His looping head back across the goal was tipped over by the Chester Le Street keeper. The corner form Evans had almost an identical result. Head from Grieveson and tipped over by the keeper.  The second corner was poorly delivered and Chester Le Street were able to clear their lines.

And so it continued. Washington were the better team. The passing came was strong and movement off the ball was good to see. But it still lacked the quality where it counted. Pickford and Evans both having changes that were off target. Chester Le Street could only respond with hit and hope balls into the Washington box that were easily dealt with by the defence or Gladstone.

It was on 35 minutes, when Grieveson, who had been a nuisance to the Chester Le Street defence all night, broke into the box and was bundled over. No question from the referee. Washington Pen.
Up stepped Jake Pickard to calmly strike the ball home. 1-0.


The last 10 minutes of the first half was mostly Washington. The midfield were working well together getting some brilliant interchange of play.  Grieveson and Evens coming close again. Even a slipup by Chimbonda was quickly recovered by strong play from the fullback.

Into time added on in the first half and Grieveson had his clearest opportunity yet. The ball falling to him in the six-yard box. But he couldn’t pull it out from under his feet and the defence were able to close him down. Chester Le Street were able to break and won a free kick on the right wing. The ball delivered into the Washington box was easily cleared by Brown.


HALF TIME: Washington 1 – Chester Le Street 0


It didn’t take long for the first action point in the second half. In fact, many hadn’t returned to their seats when Matty Parker was booked for a foul.
Washington picked up in the second half pretty much where they left off in the first. The midfield showing quality in the passing and movement with a good solid support from the defence.

On 56 minutes, Chester Le Street caused a problem at the back for Washington. They brok into the box and looked to be through on for goal. When across came Captain Alex White to cover with a solid tackle. Both White and Chimbonda have been impressive. Nothing fancy just good solid defending.


57 Minutes: Washington Sub – 3 Matty Parker OFF  – 14 Cameron Wilson ON


As in the first half, All Chester Le Street could do was a big boot up the pitch. Chimbonda, White and Gladstone we more than equal to everything thrown at them.

Up front and Washington were playing the game they wanted and liked.  Continuing to build up with good passing. On 63 minutes it would play off and Washington double their lead.

Washington corner from the right. Hit in with bend and pace allowed Brown to rise and head home. Brilliantly taken 2-0.

Grieveson came close again not long after. Put through by Wilson his curling shot beat the keeper but was just wide of the post. Chester Le Street cannot keep him quiet. Gardner’s cross field delivery is improving and when White, up for a corner, is found on the edge of the Chester Le Street box, his wayward pass allows them to break. But not far as a foul from White puts an end to that and a talking to from the ref. Could and maybe should have been a booking.

Now the game is being totally dominated by Washington. Their quality is really beginning to show. Chance after chance is cropping up, so much that it’s hard to take accurate notes. Wison makes a deadly run into the box and his shot at goal is well saved by the keeper.


80 Minutes: Washington Sub – 9 Grieveson and 15 Williamson OFF – 7 Matthew Fisher and 15 Callum Dent ON

Pickard moves to play upfront with Fisher holding in midfield. Dent goes to left wing.

Dent started causing new problems for Chester Le Street down the left. Fresh and with bags of pace. His first ball in is perfect but there is no one there to get on the end of it. He then delivers to Wilson. His shot is saved and Washington win in corner. Delivered by Evans but gathered by the keeper. It is the Pickard on a cross from Dent. His header is just over.


Chester Le Street are not going without a fight.

A break into the box bring into action Gladstone, who has been a spectator for most of the second half. The Washington number 1 making a brilliant save at the feet of the attacker ensuring he keeps his clean sheet.


FULL TIME: Washington FC 2 – Chester Le Street Town 0

After the game I spoke to Washington Manager James Clark


Delighted to be in the next round of the cup. Thought we were the better team throughout the game and dominated in large periods. I thought we moved the ball well, but have to be mindful of not getting complacent and sloppy at times. Great to get a clean sheet and give us a platform to build off. Overall a very good performance and we have much more to go.


You played some players in different positions to previous games and it seemed to have the desired effect. Chimbonda was solid at the heart of the defence and Pickford behind the striker. Do this give you problems for the next game?
The problem we have had is been able to consistently play players in their real positions due to injuries or suspensions or other outside influences. Pascal, could practically play anywhere particularly in defensive areas and brings a calmness and assured performances. Pickford has played there before this season, what allowed him to play the way he did was the intelligence of play from Ross gardner and Jake Pickard to create the spaces

The introduction of Grieveson and brown, both having a good contribution must make selections difficult for you going into the Marske game?
We look at every game and all players to make the right selections, if players perform then they always put themselves in a position to give me a difficult decision. The same could be said of callum dent when he came on

With the bad run of form you must have been under pressure for results. The Chimbonda signing and win in the cup will lift some of that pressure?
We had picked up 4 points from 4 games, there were disappointing results in that period most notably the Penrith game. But we have let 13 points slip from winning positions and it’s important to stop that happening.I think last night’s performance showed a good deal of maturity. No body can put as much pressure as I do on my self. We will be successful, this team I trust and believe in to get the right results. Someone like Pascal is always going to cause a media furore which is great for the club, but in some respects can add to people’s expectations.


Next Game:

Marske United (Away)
Ebac Norther League
Saturday 14 October
Kick off 15:00


Next Home Game:

Morpeth Town
Ebac Norther League
Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex, Washington Road, Sunderland, SR5 3NS
Saturday 21 October
Kick off 195:00


Date Time League Season
10/10/2017 7:45 pm League Cup 2017/18


Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex
A1290, Sunderland SR5 3NT, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Washington F.C.112Win
Chester Le Street Town FC000Loss

Washington F.C.

Chester Le Street Town FC