Washington Football Club vs Dunston UTS

0 - 3
Full Time



(Half Time: Washington 0 – Dunston 2)

Saturday 05 August 2017
Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex, Washington Road, Sunderland, SR5 3NS
Kick off - 3:00 pm
Emirates FA Cup, Extra Preliminary Round
Attendance: 148

Competition football returned to the Nissan Sports and Leisure Complex today with the Emirates FA Cup. The game that almost didn’t happen following Washington tendering resignation from the league at the end of last season. Thankfully local Junior Club Washington AFC stepped in at the last minute to offer assistance and save the Club from fading into the history books.  In the build-up to the new season there has been tireless work from both the Team Management and administrative staff to get the Club in a position to be able to compete in the Northern League.


It is without question this has only been possible thanks to the help and support of the outgoing committee. Thanks, must be given to Graeme English and Gary Collin for their continued support and work behind the scenes. Former Chairman and Treasurer, Derek “Dixie” Armstrong has been a mentor and guide to new Secretary Stephen Haywood and has every confidence and faith in his “apprentice”.

Manager, James Clark opened his pre-match comments in the programme saying the committee have been supportive of the direction he is looking to take the team and offering his thanks to members of the former committee.

Before kick-off both teams and supporters observed a minute’s silence for Washington Super Fan Chris (Bobby) Charlton. A local man well known throughout Washington and in wider football circles.

The opening minutes has both teams starting with attacks, supporters from both teams were hoping for an action-packed game. An early corner for Washington was easily gathered by the Dunston Keeper. From his long through Washington failed to deal with following attack and were saved by a goal lineclearance by Michael Lawes. Washington struggled to keep the ball in the Dunston half and on ten minutes a through ball to Dunston striker Fitzpatrick was crossed low to Liam Thear who’s shot on the edge of the six yard box hit the cross bar bouncing on the line and coming out was judged a goal by referee Andrew Kitchen. Washington were right to feel aggrieved as later viewing seemed to show the full ball hadn’t crossed the line.


Washington couldn’t get their passes going and too many wayward passed allowed Dunston to dictate the game. After thirteen minutes, a hopeful ball into the Washington box was knocked down by Max Whitehouse and when keeper Gladstone picked the ball up, the referee blew for a back pass. Despite protests from the Washington players, Dunston were awarded a freekick. Eight of the Washington team plus Goalkeeper lined up on the goal line to effect. The shot from Dunston’s Dale Burrell was bravely blocked from close range by Gladstone.

This was not the first time Washington’s Keeper showed his class. Several further saves from the number one would keep a pressing Dunston side at bay. Twice tipping a shot over the bar and severalclose-range blocks. At times, the Washington defence was solid and both Laws and Captain Alex White frustrated the Dunston forwards. But with Washington not able to keep the ball and the Dunston Keeper able to mop everything that fell in the eighteen-yard box, Dunston were again rewarded for their persistence.

Dunston’s Jake Stafford brought the ball down with skill on the edge of the box to Thear who rounded the keeper and slide home on twenty-six minutes. No question if that one was over the line.

Washington were starting to get frustrate. A late and rash tackle from Stephen Edwards was waved on by the referee but when Dunston couldn’t take advantage play was stopped for a free kick and Edwards was show a yellow card. Washington were lucky not to go in a half time three goals down but once Gladstone would be the hero with a brilliant save over the bar.


Whatever was said by Washington Manager Clark at half time seemed to have worked. Washington came out with a bit more confidence and started to play their passing game. Build up play was good and the home team were looking to get back into tie. But they were still lacking that cutting edge up front. A good through ball from former Middlesbrough and England youth Bruno Pilatos would come to nothing as the Dunston keeper easily gathered up. Second half substitutes Robbie Williamson and Gary Shaw had the impact with both coming close with long range shots for Washington.

But Dunston were not finished with the goals. On the sixty sixth minute, pressure on the right for the visitors resulted in a ball cannoned off Washington’s Ross Gardiner from close range. The referee judged Gardiner had used his arms and a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Liam Thear to confidently place the ball down the centre of the goal and claim a hat-trick.


Washington to their credit didn’t let their heads drop. Some good pass and move that was evident in preseason started to come back into the Washington game. And when sub Williamson was fouled a few yards out the box, Washington had a freekick in a promising position. But it was not Washington’s day in front of goal with Jordan Jewson firing over. With ten minutes remaining in the game a short back pass to Gladstone resulted in him having to hurdle two Dunston players after his clearance. The high footed challenge brought a moment of pushing and shoving between both sets of players. Once things calmed down and play resumed Washington tried to push for a consolation goal. But it wasn’t to be.

After the game, I got Manager James Clark’s reactions

I am Disappointed with today’s result, credit to Dunston they came with a game plan and carried it out. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get to grips with it quickly enough and didn’t settle into our rhythm and dictate play which is unlike us. This team is still learning and growing and despite the feelings now will be better for it. We will dust ourselves off, work hard and go again for our next game.



In all it was a better performance in the second half from the home team, but Dunston were worthy winners on the day. There are still positives to be taken from the game. Despite the score line, the defence was mostly solid and controlled any kind of aerial threat. Keeper Gladstone made some outstanding saves and his distribution from the back was quality as always.


Washington Man of the Match:

Dan Gladstone – outstanding saves throughout.


Due to the Emirates FA Cup Replay, the League opener on Tuesday 08 August will be postponed.

Next Game:

Sunderland RCA (Away)
Meadow Park, Sunderland SR2 0NZ
Kick off 15:00

Photo credit: Dunston UTS Flickr


Date Time League
05/08/2017 3:00 pm F. A. Cup


Nissan Sports & Leisure Complex
A1290, Sunderland SR5 3NT, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Washington F.C.000Loss
Dunston UTS213Win

Washington F.C.

1Daniel Gladstone Goalkeeper
3Matthew Parker Full Back
5Michael Laws Centre Back
6Alexander White Centre Back
10Jake Pickard Centre Midfield
4Ross Gardiner Midfielder
15Robbie Williamson Forward
18Callim Dent 14 Midfielder

Dunston UTS